IBM always tries to keep it fresh. As in September 2021, IBM rolled out a brand-new IBM Power E1080 server. This server is one of the first in the family from IBM Power10.
When it comes to the IBM Power10 server, innovation is prioritized. While offering the latest capabilities, Power10 is superior to all that came before it.
We can say that the IBM Power10 server is a superscalar, multithreaded, and multi-core processor based on an open-source Power ISA.
As a cherry on top, this is generally available on the E1080 enterprise across the globe.
To know about the IBM Power10 server in-depth, let us look at the key features.
The Availability and Scalability of IBM Power10
The Power10 servers are reliable, available, and scalable, amongst other things.
• The Open Memory Interface offers a new memory architecture.
Instead of using the standard DIMMS in x86 systems, Power10 uses the OMI-attached advanced memory.
As per IBM’s claim, Power10 DDIMMS would deliver two times the availability and reliability of the industry standard DIMMs.
The latest DDIMMS also has the buffered memory architecture specific to each DDIMM. This prevents any system outages whenever there is a failure.
And with the use of E1080, you can expect the memory bandwidth to go up to 400 gigabits per second per socket.
• Via cabling, the backplane replacement failures can be minimized.
Basically, the SMP cabling system has been upgraded to enable passive and internal cables. You can use these on the fabric busses to connect processors between the drawers and within them too.
Also, the signals are no longer routed via the CEC backplane. This enhances the system’s reliability as the probability of main system backplane replacement reduces.
The new cabling helps robust deallocation and repair of the SMP cables. This keeps the system up and running despite cable defects. In case errors keep on occurring on the bus, the system could transfer to a half bandwidth mode.
• An increase in the reliability factor is also possible through clock restructuring.
In this, a new design for outdated processor clocks helps. As Power10 keeps the redundant clocks, it does not need processor modules in each CEC drawer to be in sync. The new design would enhance the stability of the processor clock.
Security Consideration of IBM Power10
The IBM Power10 server also offers heightened security as the Linux environment container densities are high. The chief reason behind IBM’s designing Power10 was to give hardware-enforced container isolation. And heightened protection capacity through co-development with IBM Power10 firmware.
Usually, if a Red Hat OpenShift container is compromised, the Power10 processor can separate the problematic container. This prevents the compromise on other containers.
Additionally, if there are any real-time issues in the application, Power10 can help defend against those.
IBM created Power10 to offer extensive control to users, helping them frame applications that resist attack.
Even the annual survey results of IBMi Marketplace reveal that security is the biggest concern for CIOs. The hardware has transparent memory encryption at 2.5 times the speed of AES encryption.
Consequently, any requirements related to the speed of AES are easily met. Through this, the customers get their security demands catered to for in-process business data.
You may also take the assistance of a third-party system to gain additional tooling for protection against viruses, ransomware, compliance, and multi-factor authentication, etc.
Cloud Setup on New Power10
IBM Power10 server offers better delivery through the hybrid cloud strategy. This strategy makes Power10 stand out by making it reliable, secure, and versatile.
The feature of cloud adds up to the dynamism of IBM Power10 server because:
- The cloud features prevent any cyber threats. Your business can continue with ease, without any disruptions.
- You can perform many more tasks with the same energy and less infrastructure. You would also witness 25% greater uptime than any competitive system.
- With the help of the cloud, you can readily shift workloads between on-premises and cloud. You also only pay for as much as you use.
- Through the in-built inference, you can also take AI to the point of data.
Adding to these, the security considerations from core to cloud also offer in-memory encryption on processors. IBM Power10 server makes encryption over the hybrid cloud very simple. All in all, without affecting performance negatively and ensuring data security
The resilience across the industry ensures enterprise-grade reliability over the hybrid cloud. This is to say that Power10 can sense, isolate, and recover any soft errors automatically. The recovery process does not disrupt the OS for managing faults.
The all-new IBM Power E1080 fosters scalability over the hybrid cloud while reducing the data center footprint. The server offers additional features like no complexities and low cost without influencing the business-critical aspects.
Way to Upgrade to IBM Power10
With more modernized ways coming to market, your competitors are already trying to stay on top of technological superiority. So, to beat the competition, you should do the same.
- Through Power9, you could save up to 50% over the Power7 version via consolidation of workloads and fewer servers for applications.
- While Power9 is much better than Power8, when it comes to memory capacity and performance, Power10 leads.
- The companies that have already upgraded to the IBM Power9 server will have an easier time upgrading to the IBM Power10 server.
- To witness a flawless upgrade, you can get an expert’s help.
- While IBM has been simplifying all types of power solution implementations, various companies require expert help to make an easy transition.
- Upgrading happens once every 3-5 years. Typically, its technical experts are already busy with their client projects. So, levying the task of upgrading them may not be very feasible.
Upon getting the help of third-party support, you can take the burden off your internal IT team while getting the upgrade done at relatively low costs. And even though you will have to spend some money, the result will be flawless and worth the expense.
How can Integrative Systems Help?
You must now upgrade to the IBM Power10 server to be the best. We recommend hiring a third-party consultant.
And if you are looking for experts to help you with this, Integrative Systems has your back.
Integrative Systems offers much more than just IT support – Having over 20 years of expertise in iSeries and AS400 servers, with our services, you will see your IBM Power10 server up and running in no time.
Want to avail of our services? Email: [email protected]. We will revert within 2-3 business days.